From: Keith Britton <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ysearch update well overdue
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:55:57 -0400

There was more to it than DNAH looking for talent. I don't have access to
my notes from that time, but the public thrust was to solicit skilled Ybase
users from their existing community to provide major input, perhaps the
actual design, to the new version. Such developers were offered total
access to the database, unclear whether that was to be on their own machines
or via a DNAH server, to test and originate search and other strategies. It
was implied that the feedback would determine public access facilities to be
built into the new database design and website tool set. Strongly implied
was that future users would be enabled to write complex and large mining and
manipulation programs to abstract from or work within the database - within
the existing privacy constraints - but again unclear the anticipated
division between remote and server computing/data residence.

DNAH had sought as policy to build an active and independent user community,
this seeming a logical, bold and praiseworthy extension. In the event, it
now looks more a last move of desperation to seek free public software
development as economics became critical. It would be very interesting to
know whether FTDNA bought any ideas from that effort, or were perhaps
impelled to urgently suppress such a concept for business reasons. It may
also be that the effort was a significant failure for lack of participation,
denying DNAH survival and perhaps giving FTDNA an example to inhibit any
future thoughts in that direction.

kb

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Ann Turner <> wrote:

> ...A year or so ago Alastair sent out an e-mail "Ybase to be
> demolished. And then completely rebuilt", looking for people skilled in
> tools like MySQL and PHP. Obviously, nothing ever came of that, ...

This thread: