From: Keith Britton <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Correct TMRCA analysis/Anatole
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:36:40 -0500

My paper genealogy goes back to ~1500 and has a mean y generation time of
almost exactly 35 years. I have been recently studying a tree of 110
individuals from ~1572 to 15 branches with haplotypes but no matching birth
dates, so estimation was needed for y generation times, the probable range
being 35-38 years. The families are both R1a1a Younger Tens, so likely
genetically very similar from a common mid Dark Age ancestor. (Anatole
placed my Brittons as a unique though closely ancestral branch, but recent
data may change that.)

It would be interesting and perhaps informative to know if this is just
typical for the last 500 years, whether mean y generation times cluster
with similar genetics but differing surnames, is there clustering by
geographic factors, or just datapoints in some Poisson distribution?

kb

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Anatole Klyosov <>wrote:

> >From: "M. A. Farrell" < >
> >...I have NO generation of only 25 years back to our common ancestor
> b.1706; these generations were actually from 30 to 35 years apart...

This thread: