From: "Kenneth Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Correct TMRCA analysis (Europe)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 14:21:59 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Felix
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:08 PM

Bottom line
STR estimates show V13 "was formed" about 2600 years ago.

[[I don't have the haplotypes from which the 2600 year estimate was made, or
know the type of age estimate made, but by now people in this field should
not mix sample population MRCA ages with purported age of snps.

Take I1 for example. MRCA ages for most all the more ancient nodes in
today's I1 haplotype population are 4000 to 4500 years old. Before that
stretches a 16,000 years ancestral branch line on which live all the
phyloequivalent snps we know about already for tagging I1. One would
certainly not want to say M253 or P30 are 4500 years old, because you might
some day find a 15,000 year old set of bones in an Alpine glacier showing
the M253 or P30 mutation.

For curiosity: does anyone have an interclade node age estimate for V13
samples and some other division of E not V13? That would help the
discussion. KN ]]

This thread: