From: Nelda Percival <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] a problem with ATDNA testing
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 22:55:03 -0600

Karen, As Jim said no...just like the Y-dna's mutations in the STRs they happen between the parent and the child, so mutations in MTDNA do happen but at such a slow rate it is unusual...
Do you really understand MTDNA? it is not part of the 23 chromosomes.. Its primary job is Energy, conversation, direction and use. So changes in MTDNA could cause health problems and thus the mutation line die off due to an unhealthy host... (A human). Thus a slower rate of random mutations.

I actually shouldn't have put mutations with atDNA, but they mutate too..but the main problem there is the recombination.

but I really was trying to point out that not matching in atDNA does not mean your not genetically related with in the time frame of the use of surnames....
n...

Nelda L. Percival
http://freepages.folklore.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/index.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/