From: "M. A. Farrell" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] a problem with ATDNA testing
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:31:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Jim, you have a very good idea - placing a year of (birth?) with the
surname; letting others know where that name is in your line. So many are
not really researchers, so this would stay their curiosity.
BUT - you go on to say the testing company has already determined the match
has a large amount of your dna - I don't agree with that; the minimums shown
are too small to work with, when the other has no information back in their
past. IF they DO have the lineage, and the amount of matching dna is about
4 times as much, we still have to go back 200 years to find it.

That is my actual experience with many confirmed matches at both FTDNA ad
23Me, and I've not found anyone closer than 4th cousin. Even then, I didn't
learn anything about my lines, but only confirmed more of the match's line,
which could have been done if they had wanted to.

HOWEVER - like you, there are a couple of names I will hit on - have
already searched for "Blair" connections in 1770s but found none. Mary
Alice

"......I guess my main thought is that everyone who shows up on my FTDNA or
23andMe match list, has already been screened by those companies and has at
least one large DNA segment in common with me. Both companies feel each of
these folks is probably my cousin....."

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com