From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] MyHeritage and "private" DNA projects
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:13:51 +1300

Doris,

You said

In my opinion, we do a disservice to FTDNA by privatizing our projects. It
is unfair to them (and IMHO it undermines our own interests). They have
been kind enough to allow us to take our projects to outside sites, which
gives us unlimited options, but that does not mean we should not maintain
dual sites, and I have always done that. My philosophy as a genealogist has
always been to be as open as possible so no one is precluded from helping
me and others with our own genealogy. Sure I've had my work copied and
distributed without credit, but that is a small price to pay for the added
exposure.
<<<<<<<

I don't think we have any obligation to FTDNA to use FTDNA free web pages.
We are not doing FTDNA a "disservice" if we choose not use web pages they
offer which have restrictions on them.

We as admins have a working relationship with FTDNA. FTDNA provide tools
for an admin to use, and admins spend thousands of unpaid hours finding and
referring customers to FTDNA. Both FTDNA and admins derive a benefit from
the working relationship. Long may it continue.

I had my private project web page before FTDNA offered free web pages. As
it happens, the "creative format for my display of results" on my original
web pages was essentially the same as FTDNA later adopted for their free web
pages. It is hardly a matter of FTDNA being "kind enough to allow me to
take my project outside" of FTDNA, when my project and project web site
existed before FTDNA offered free web sites.
John.

This thread: