From: Vince Tilroe <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Out of Africa
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:19:16 -0600

And on the conservative side... if the 3x10^-8 SNPs per site per generation
approximation holds (implying 0.78 SNPs per generation across the ~
26,000,000 base-pair coverage of the sequence-able Y-chromosome), and if
the average generational interval was typically 25 years, then your
projected 5,236 SNPs represents only ~102,000 years. And then it's
entirely possible that not all of these SNPs are strictly below A0: some
may actually exist in other haplogroups thanks to the Frankenstein-ish
assembly of the HUGO reference sequence (which is dominantly a composite of
R1b, but has bits and pieces from other haplogroups as well).

Vince T.