Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andme test vs. mtDNA full sequencing for genealogy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 17:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks Ann, Bob and Jim for your quick responses!

I'm very new to dna and was hoping to get tested later this year for my
birthday and had been checking out 23andme, ftdna and the new test coming to
ancestry.com. I'm interested in both health and genealogy so I was leaning
towards 23andme. I'm definitely getting the 23andme test done but when I
saw the sale on the ftdna site I started looking the tests over and was
wondering if I would get more genealogy information from the full sequence
mtDNA test.

If I'm understanding you all correctly, I probably won't get much more
genealogy information from doing that test then I will already have from the
23andme test. When I finally get my 23andme test I do plan to pay to have
the results transferred to relative finder on the ftdna site.

I've been working on genealogy for many years and a lot of the lines in my
family tree go way back to the 1600's. I have English, Irish, Scottish,
German and Dutch heritage. I think maybe I will hold off on the mtDNA full
sequencing for now and reconsider at some time in the future.

Ann, could you tell me what finding completely novel mutations would help
with. Would they tell you something about your health or genealogy?

Thanks again,
Kathy

In a message dated 4/21/2012 4:45:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,