From: Gregg Bonner <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andme test vs. mtDNA full sequencing for genealogy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:05:52 -0700 (PDT)

As others have mentioned, which test to get depends on what you want to learn, or what hypothesis you wish to test. I am more interested in genealogy than anthropology or health issues. So when it comes to mtDNA, I suggest not only *not* doing a complete genome sequence, but I wouldn't even do HVR2. The bottom-of-the-barrel HVRI test (now $59) is enough for my purposes.

>From a personal genealogical advancement perspective, when I find a match, I am still going to have to email the match and go over the traditional records (wills and deeds, etc.) to see if we can connect. And I get enough information for that with HVRI alone. Of course, the downside to that is if you have a very common type, you may get a ton of matches that you would call false positives had you also done HVR2 and that didn't match.

Then comes the issue of upgrades. For those interested in genealogy mostly, you may test HVRI only , and then upgrade if you have 1,000 hits. In my case, I had so few matches that I could email everyone and see what kind of reply I would get. But then again, I am the type of person who really will email 150 people and go over each and every one of them. Other people may not have that dedication, at least in part due to more fertile fields laying elsewhere. But for me, my pedigree is developed enough that the DNA tests of various kinds are the only game in town.

I did HVRI for me, and my dad, and a cousin, and will have my wife tested under the present reduced pricing...and I have never regretted doing only HVRI in those cases, and do not foresee upgrading any of those mtDNA tests for genealogical purposes, though I may upgrade to full sequence just to amuse myself.

And just for completeness, as far as Y tests go, genealogically, I don't see need for 111 marker, or 67, or really even 37. I think if you already suspect a line, and the "match" is waiting for you to test, then 12 is almost always enough for that. If not, then 12 is just usually not enough that it makes 25 worthwhile, just because ordering upgrade takes some effort. But 25 is "on the outs", and 37 really isn't much more anyway, so that's what I recommend usually, though I think mostly overkill. And as far as FF, I had my dad and mom both do it. But since I know all but two ancestors out to 7 generations, I think I'll likely not learn much from it. I think FF is best for finding the holes inside 5 generations.

Gregg