From: Jim Bartlett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andme test vs. mtDNA full sequencing for genealogy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:43:39 -0400

mtDNA is not generally useful in genealogy, IMO. Unlike Y-DNA, meaningful matches are very rare. How far back do you know your all-female line? What do you hope to achieve? Do you think someone may email you someday with knowledge of your end-of-the-line female as the daughter of his/her ancestor with matching mtDNA. Close to zero probability.

If you already have a suspect in mind, and can trace an all-female descendancy down to a living person for an mtDNA test, then go for it. But if you are just taking the test and hoping a match is going to tell you another generation - save your money.

I do recommend the Y-DNA37 test, but believe very little extra is gleaned from more markers, generally. If so you can upgrade, but in my experience you'll find out if you match or not with 37. Often with 12, if you're R1b, you can't tell which line you match for sure.

Jim - Sent from my iPhone - FaceTime!