GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 1998-05 > 0894678664

From: Paul Johnston< >
Subject: [Fwd: Margaret Kelly Gortgonis/Coalisland]
Date: 8 May 1998 18:51:04 -0700

--------------2CF1CFD0BCCAA56D7046A67C

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 21:48:21 -0400
From: Paul Johnston <>
Subject: Margaret Kelly Gortgonis/Coalisland

Hello Gerry,

Read your mail sent April 18th. I am researching in Coalisland as well,
the family of John Johnston, b. c. 1830 and emigrated to Canada in
1882. He lived in Coalisland but have not been able to find him in
Griffiths, only a portion of Coalisland residents are listed. I believe
however that I found his daughter, Eliza Johnston, born 1864, in the
Coalisland National School Records - 1869-1916. John Johnston married
Maria Kelly in 1850 in Dungannon (Maria was born c. 1829 in the Townland
of Derryveen, Parish of Donaghmore; her father was Farmer Philip Kelly)
.... any connection??

I checked my sources for your Kellys in Gortgonis in Griffiths Valuation
of 1860. No Kellys were listed in Gortgonis but there is a Alice Kelly
in Creenagh Townland/Tullyniskan and Rep. Thomas Kelly is listed in
Brackaville, Parish of Donaghenry (has Land only) which is basically in
Coalisland; Margaret Kelly appears in Castle Farm, Stewartstown,
Donaghenry on p. 186, Fiche 4.B.4 and James Kelly in the townland of
Derry/page 64: .You can find Townland of Gortgonis on Fiche 6.E.2 on
pages 61 and 62. The same fiche (#6) lists parishes and townlands with
page numbers. According to Griffiths there are 3 Kellys in the parish of
Tullyniskan but they do not appear in Tithe. Parish of Donaghenry: 6
Kellys listed and they appear in Tithe.(Coalisland is divided between
Parishes of Tullyniskan, Donaghenry and Clonoe but appears only under
Donaghenry on Fiche 4.B.4, page 128-130 as far as I have found out)
Dungannon Town: Drumcoo: Hugh Kelly p. 215 and James Kelly p. 216,
Patrick Kelly page 217, Thomas Kelly on page 218 & 219, Susan Kelly p.
221, all on Fiche 8.A.9, Dungannon, Parish of Drumglass, is about 3
miles from Coalisland.

Hope this helps.

Marit Johnston, Toronto

--------------2CF1CFD0BCCAA56D7046A67C--