GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2000-01 > 0948249429

Subject: Re: More Irish sayings & food
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:37:09 -0500

My father was from Longford too and my mother was from Cork and their
definitions of colcannon were different. My father wanted it made with
potatoes, onions, butter and milk. My mother said that they called that
"boxty" in Cork and that colcannon was properly made with kale or cabbage
instead of the onions.

I sided with my father because I liked that version better and it's still
how I do mashed potatoes to this day.

<> wrote in message news:...
> shaun dickson () wrote:
> : I think colcannon tends to be made with whatever is available at the
> : ours is usually kale onions and potato
> We make colcannon at Halloween every year. It has mashed potatoes
> together with leeks cooked in cream and cabbage.
> -dja

This thread: