GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2001-06 > 0991576808-03

From: "Jim Roche" <>
Subject: Re: IRISHMEN RECRUITED INTO BRITISH ARMY 1860
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 15:00:08 +0100

Levy money was a bounty paid to new recruits (it can also refer to money
given to the commander).

Your ancestor was one of many Irishmen to join the Army as a volunteer.
There was no conscription in Ireland even during the two world wars.
Irishmen served all around the world providing some of the best commanders
in both army and navy.

In WW2 eight Irishmen won VCs serving in the British forces, seven came from
the Repiblic amd one from Belfast.

Jim