GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046516140

From: Brenda Paternoster <>
Subject: Father's name on marriage certificate
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:55:40 +0000

I have just received my grandparents' marriage certificate from Belfast;
the first time I've seen a N Ireland certificate.

In the father's name and surname box it gives the groom's father as
Joseph Albert Escott, and the bride's father as George William Sleater
SLEATER PLNS with PLNS underlined.

What does that mean? The bride was a widow, Laura Thompson. The
officiating minister was PLN Shirley BD PLNS were his initials. Was he
emphasizing the fact that the brie's surname was different to that of her
father? or did her father have Sleater as a Christian name as well as his
surname?

Brenda

http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/
Supporting the campaign