GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046524160

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: Re: Departure for Quebec
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:09:20 -0500

> elebourd () wrote:
> : This may be a dumb or unanswerable question, but here goes :)
> I have : been trying to learn more about my g-grandfather Owen
> Thomas Connick, : who was born and raised in Kilbraney, Co.
> Wexford, and came to Quebec, : Canada, at some point between
> 1836 and 1843. My question is: where would : he likely have
> gotten on a ship?

I can't tell you where your ancestor might have boarded, but I
can tell you about finding his name on a passenger list. :-)

There are no comprehensive lists of immigrants arriving in
Canada prior to 1865. Until that year, shipping companies
were not required by the government to keep their passenger
manifests.

At my site, The Olive Tree Genealogy, I have a page on the
section of Ships Passenger Lists To Canada, which explains what
lists have survived and are available at the National Archives
of Canada (NAC)

One set of surviving records is correspondence of the
Secretary of State on immigration for 1817-1857.There are lists
of immigrants,mainly Irish, and entry books re immigration, and
assisted emigration to British North America. Full details plus
film numbers are found at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/pass.shtml

On TheShipsList website they are including Quebec ship
arrivals extracted from contemporary newspapers. See

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/vessels.html

You will want to read my PASSENGER &
IMMIGRATION page under Ontario for the full details.

The Olive Tree has many passenger lists for ships arriving in
various ports in Canada 1535 to 1957

The online lists and links to lists can be viewed by year of
sailing or by country of arrival. Some can also be viewed by
categories such as Palatines to America, Irish Ships, Ships
to New Netherland, etc.

Ships to Canada are at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocanp01.shtml

Good luck