GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046534901

From: (Sam Sloan)
Subject: Melvin, Milwain, Milvain, Millvain, McElvain, McIlvain and McElveen
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:08:21 GMT

Melvin, Milwain, Milvain, Millvain, McElvain, McIlvain and McElveen

My great-great-great-grandmother was named Ann Melvin. She was born in
Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire, Scotland on 20 April 1778 and died in
Biggsville, Illinois on 17 February 1875.

I was stumped on finding her parentage until I learned from the book
"Descendants of Hugh Thomson" by Donald C. Thomson that her original
name had been Milwain and it had been modified to Melvin when she came
to America. This lead me to her father, James Wilwain (about
1750-1829) and to his parents Andrew Milwain and Sarah Fee. Most
people named Sarah Fee are not from Scotland but are from Antrim
County Ireland which is only 20 miles across the Irish Sea from
Wigtown County Scotland. I imagine that Sarah Fee came from Ireland
but nobody by that name goes back that far. Does Ireland have records
back that far, to about 1720?

On the IGI I found a person named Rachel Milvain who married John
McRobert and gave birth to Thomas McRobert on 02 OCT 1792 in
Stranraer, Wigtown, Scotland and to Mary McRobert 06 DEC 1796
Stranraer, Wigtown, Scotland. This Rachel Milvain seems likely to be
the same person as Rachel Millvain who gave birth to Agnes McRobert on
07 DEC 1786 in New Luce, Wigtown, Scotland. It seems likely that
Rachel Milvain was a relative of Ann Melvin or Milwain.

Back then, families tried to marrry close to each other. My
great-great-grandfather Samuel Thomson, who was the son of Ann Melvin
or Milvain married Elizabeth McRobert. Therefore, I suspect that the
Rachel Milvain who married John McRobert was a close relative.

To further complicate matters, I have noticed on other family trees on
the Internet that people named Milwain often have parents named
McElvain, McIlvain or McElveen.

So, it seems that the names Melvin, Milwain, Milvain, Millvain,
McElvain, McIlvain and McElveen are all variations of each other. This
makes it even more difficult to trace back my family tree.

I grew up learning that some of my ancestors came from Ireland and
others came from Scotland. I thought that these were two seperate and
distinct branches of my family. I did not realize that they came from
a county in Ireland and a county in Scotland which were only 20 miles
across the Irish Sea from each other. Even my father and my mother,
who met while attending the State University of Iowa, may have shared
a common origin which they did not know about or even suspect.

Any help on this subject will be appreciated.

Everything I know about this is on my website at around:
http://www.samsloan.com/pafg06.htm#63
http://www.samsloan.com/pafg141.htm#4014
http://www.samsloan.com/pafg151.htm#4253

I am updating this website often and the pages may move as I gather
more information.

Sam Sloan

This thread: