GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046584692

From: (Dennis Ahern)
Subject: Re: Genealogy - what and where is it?
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 05:58:12 +0000 (UTC)

The Chief () wrote:

: the times. If the BDM extracts were relevant to me I would have a
: major issue, which has already been put by Sean, but not answered so
: far: are the extracts comprehensive or random/selected? This point is
: critical - if I searched the newspaper abtracts site for a particular
: event and did not find it, does that mean it was not in the paper, or
: is it simply that it did not attract attention by Denis or Cathy?

In the case of the death notices, the indexing is comprehensive in that
every death, including ones mentioned in news stories as opposed to
obituaries, are indexed using the standard formatting of the Obituary
Daily Times website. The newspaper abstracts are a separate project. The
items that get transcribed are ones that I think are interesting, or have
a fair number of names associated with specific locations, such as
subscribers to a fund from a single parish. The birth, death and marriage
excerpts, where they are transcribed, represent the full text of that
heading for that day's paper. I sometimes choose those where someone has
died in another country, such as Australia, or North America, but it gives
their place of origin in Ireland, because that is often the toughest thing
to determine in Irish genealogy. A complete, full-text transcription of
all BDM notices in even a single newspaper like the Cork Examiner, is far
beyond the capabilities of a single volunteer, or even a small group of
volunteers.

Dennis Ahern [dja] | The Obituary Daily Times indexer for
Acton, Massachusetts | The Acton Beacon, The Irish Examiner,
http://tiara.ie/obframe.htm | http://www.rootsweb.com/~obituary/