GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046625597

From: (Dennis Ahern)
Subject: Re: Marchbank
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 17:19:57 +0000 (UTC)

roger beswick () wrote:
: I am researching 2 Marchbank men. Both were born in Dublin in the 1830's,
: both were printers, both appeared in London in the 1850's. They were
: Alexander and William Marchbank.

: I am aware of a family of Dublin printers called Marchabnk. I think there
: was a line of three Roberts as the British Library has books published by
: them betwen 1780 and 1860. From the obituary listings at Tiara I know that
: Robert Snr died in 1867. From other documents I know quite a lot about the
: Roberts except their families, for example they lived, or had their works in
: Stamford Street.

: Can anyone please point me to:
: How do I get hold of a copy of the obituary?
: Such a family must have left wills. Can I found out if they exist?

The Marchbank death notice found on the TIARA obituary database at
http://tiara.ie/obframe.htm indicates he died in Dublin. While there is
a notice in the Cork Examiner for June 4, 1867, you might find a more
detailed obituary in one of the Dublin papers. See the following list for
sources of Irish newspapers. You might be able to get one on inter-
Library loan to use in your local Library. While wills probated in what
became the Irish Free State in 1922 were lost in a fire, the calendar of
wills and administration may give information as to who was granted
letters of administration, place and date of death, and value of
estate. These calendar books, and microfilm of wills probated in what
became Northern Ireland are available at the PRONI in Belfast, and I
believe in Dublin the calendar books are at the National Archives, but I'm
not positive. They might be at the National Library or elsewhere.

See:http://www.nross.com/newsiri1.htm
Norman Ross Publishing Inc. for 18th and 19th century
Irish newspapers on microfilm from the British Library

http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/Ireland/index.html
Abstracts from Irish Newspapers

http://booleweb.ucc.ie/collections/newspapers/newspaps.htm
Newspaper holdings at University College Cork

http://www.iol.ie/~libcounc/corkcity.htm
Old Newspapers at the Cork City Library

http://www.mun.ca/library/colldev/irish.html
Irish Newspapers and Journals at Memorial University of Newfoundland

http://www.nli.ie/newsplan/default.htm
Newspapers at The National Library of Ireland

http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/bnl/
Index to Belfast Newsletter 1737-1800

http://lcweb.loc.gov/rr/news/newscats.html
Catalogs of Newspaper Holdings on the Internet

http://www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers.html
The British Library Newspaper Library

http://prodigi.bl.uk/nlcat/
British Library Newspaper Catalog

http://www.bpl.org/research/microtext/news.htm
Newspapers on Microfilm at Boston Public Library

http://tiara.ie/books.html#news
Online Irish Newspapers

http://www.headlines-irl.com/
Daily Headlines from Irish Newspapers

These, and other useful links, can be reached from the TIARA web site.

Dennis Ahern | The Irish Ancestral Research Association
Acton, Massachusetts | Dept. W, P.O. Box 619, Sudbury, MA 01776