GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046689676

From: Don Moody <>
Subject: Re: Soda bread O/T
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:07:56 +0000

In message <b3v07c$1p6jog$1@ID-71976.news.dfncis.de>, Hugh Watkins
<> writes
>Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the bread is brown and sounds
>hollow when tapped.
>
>Cool and serve.

What a terrible waste of a lot of effort!

Take big dollop of Irish butter out of fridge while loaf is baking.
Apply softened butter in thick layers to bread while still almost too
hot to hold. Eat instantly. In our large family it was not done at all
to let the bread get as far as the dining table. Indeed I don't recall
eating it anywhere but in the kitchen.

Ignore misery-guts who say bread that fresh is indigestible.

Just to keep this mildly on-topic, eating bread like that has been the
custom in branches of my family for at least 140 years.

Don

--
Dr D P Moody, Ashwood, Exeter Cross, Liverton, Newton Abbot, Devon,
England TQ12 6EY

This thread: