GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046716009

From: "conaught2" <>
Subject: re:Irish Soda Bread Recipe
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:26:49 -0800

Dear Christine,

Last year learned how to make a wonderful Irish Soda Bread from my cousin. It is a County Mayo recipe and absolutely delicious. Also have a recipe that I was just given. This second recipe I will make for a St. Patrick's celebration at our church. It is suppose to be also excellent. The County Mayo version is for multiple loaves. The second recipe is for one loaf.

When in Ireland for the first time in 1972. My cousin's wife made the most delicious Irish Soda Bread and Brown Bread. Cousin Willy Joe would not eat the bread until it was a day old. My sister and I loved to eat it just out of the oven. Was never able to convert the ingredients for that recipe.

Enjoy,
Margaret (Mairead)

County Mayo Irish Soda Bread

Recipe

Makes 5 loaves depending on size of pans.

Ingredients:

5 lb bag of self rising Gold Medal flour

5 lb bag of sugar

raisins

currants

carraway seeds (optional)

gallon of milk

Use very large spoon and very large bowl to mix

Mix into very large bowl the following:

1.Use all of flour except for just about a cup left in bag

2. Just about 1/2 bag of the sugar

3. 3 or 4 handfuls of raisins (currants) all depends on how much you want

4. couple of handfuls of currants

5. If you use carraway seeds, use a good handful

6. pour in about 1/2 of milk and stir till everything is mixed then pour in a wee

bit more milk. Use about 3/4 of the gallon of milk.

7. Spray pans with pam

8. Spread a flour in a bread board

Put 4 scoops of the dough onto the breadboard and sprinkle with flour and then roll around (knead) a wee bit. Then put into the baking pans. Fill pan to within about 1 inch of top because the bread does not rise much

Bake at 325 degrees for 1/2 hour on bottom rack then 1/2 hour on top rack. When cooked should look lightly browned.

#2 Irish Soda Recipe - makes one loaf.

Irish Soda Bread

4 Cups sifted all purpose flour

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 Cup butter or margarine

1 - 1 1/2 Cups raisins

1 1/3 Cup buttermilk

1 egg

1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix and sift the fist four ingredients (flour, sugar, salt and baking powder).

Cut in the butter with a pastry blender till resembling course corn meal.

Stir in raisins

Combine Buttermilk, egg, baking soda then stir the mixture into the flour mixture, just till moistened.

Just 1 - 1 1/2 qt. Pudding pan or casserole

you can use dutch oven,10" diameter and 3 inches deep and Grease with oil.

Cut cross on top before putting into oven.

Cook 375 for 45 - 50 minutes till golden brown