GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046742553

From: "Jane Lyons" <>
Subject: Shamrock...........COLGAN & BRITTEN
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:49:22 -0000

The name of the man who identified the Irish plant that is the Shamrock -
or, rather proved which species of plant is *the* Shamrock
back in 1897 was Nathaniel Colgan...............

a county Antrim man from Belfast.

Mr. James Britten, editor of the Journal of Botany had identified the same
plant and had published its name in Dictionary of English. Plant Names (p.
425). (Published by Trubner & Co., (for the English Dialect Society),
London, 1886.)

Both men, had taken plants from the different Irish counties - Nathaniel
Colgan had however, covered more counties than James Britten.

Does anyone know anything about either of these men? Please and thank you -
any Belfast Colgan descendants on the Antrim lists?

I'd like to know more about Nathaniel Colgan - something of his family
history if possible.

Not one of the web sites I have looked at that actually give the name of
the 'real' shamrock - let alone the pretenders ;-) mention the names of
either of these men.

Thanks,

Jane

This thread: