GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1046785827

Subject: Re: Soda bread O/T
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:50:27 GMT

This is so easy Christine I often get up a little earlier in the
morning and make it to have for Breakfast

I lb wholemeal flour (450 g)
2 teaspoons ofsalt
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
5 fl oz soured cream ( 150 ml )
5 fl oz water ( 150 ml) plus 2-3 extra table spoons

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 7 425 F (220 C)

A greased Baking sheet

****

Begin by mixing the flour salt and bircarbonate of soda thoroughy in a
bowl. Then in a jug whisk the soured cream and the 5 fl oz ( 150 ml )
water together and stir this mixture into the flour together with the
2-3 further tablespoons of ater, if it needs it.

Knead the dough lightly (into a round ball) so as to get the surface
smooth, then out it onto the prepared baking sheet. Cut halfway
through the loaf with a sharp knife, one way, then do the same the
other way forming a cut cross, which will form the loaf into four
crustry sections.

Bake the loat in the top half of the oven for 30 minutes - covering
the top with foil for the last 5 minutes of the baking time, if the
crust looks like its getting too dark. Cool on a wire rack for approx
15 mins before eating.

If you don't like a very crispy crust, wrap the bread in a tea cloth
whilst it is cooling, so that the steam it gives off softens the crust
a little.

Soda bread is best eaten fresh - it is not a keeping loaf.

NB You can use Buttermilk instead of Sour Cream - My Mum back home in
Ireland always uses Buttermilk, I prefer the Sour Cream myself - why
not try both - make up your own mind.

Enjoy!!!!

Cheers Carol

On 03 Mar 2003 02:44:50 GMT, (Mgtfjagxk) wrote:

>Can anyone give me a good recipe for irish soda bread?
>Thank you.
>
>christine
>Oregon USA

This thread: