GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047014274

From: Rachel & Robert H Smith <>
Subject: Re: GENIRE-D Digest V03 #97
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 21:17:54 -0800

EDWARD HACKETT, Esq., Mayor of Cork, which took
> place, at his residence, Sidney Place, this morning ; and
> we feel sure there is not a citizen of Cork, no matter
> what may be his religious or political creed, who does
> not sympathise with his respected family on the loss of
> its honoured head, and regret the untimely death of an
> honest man, an incorruptible and unflinching patriot, a
> merchant of high integrity, and an earnest supporter of
> every charitable institution in the city. The immediate
> cause of Mr. HACKETT'S death is said to have been
> water-on-the-chest ; but his health had been much
> impaired for several years, his malady at last ending in
> a total break up of a once vigourous constitution. It is a
> matter of regret that the office of Mayor--one
> requiring greater anxiety and greater activity than was
> compatible with his declining health and weak
> frame--was forced on his acceptance by the Council ;
> whose motive, however, was most praiseworthy--to
> secure for the Chief Magistracy of Cork a
> true-hearted, honest, patriotic, and charitable
> fellow-citizen--and to pay a merited compliment to the
> head of a family remarkable for their public usefulness.
> There was not in Ireland a more uncompromising and
> unswerving Nationalist than EDWARD HACKETT. He was
> devoted to the cause of self-government, with all the
> earnestness of conviction. On more than one occasion
> he went up to Dublin in the furtherance of his patriotic
> views, to represent, in the metropolis of Ireland, the
> popular feeling of the capital of the South.--With other
> gentlemen, he attended the celebrated levee held at the
> Rotundo, on the liberation of Mr. O'CONNELL ; and on
> every occasion that the Repeal principle was involved,
> he exhibited the consistency of an honest Irishman.
> We understand that the funeral will take place on
> Monday.
>
> --The Cork Examiner, 16 April 1847
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Dennis Ahern | Ireland Newspaper Abstracts
> Acton, Massachusetts | http://www.newspaperabstracts.com/Ireland

What does "water-on-the-chest" mean in more modern medical parlance?

Water-on-the-chest is acute pulmonary edema, something that can happen
to a person with high blood pressure. It's brought on by a combination
of acute stress, salty food. The pulse gets rapid and the persons gasps
for breath as his lungs fill with water. The person must be given
oxygen and diuretics, and catheterized, none of which would have been
available at that time.

Rachel Smith

This thread: