GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047239685

From: Russ Haggerty <>
Subject: Re: GENIRE-D Digest V03 #94
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 14:54:45 -0500

Greetings and blessings to all,

I'm late with all of my email correspondence, so if the question about the
shamrock has already been answered, please ignore this message. However, if
anyone is interested, we have an article on Irish Culture and Customs which
may be of interest - it's called Emblems of Ireland - The Shamrock and the
URL is:
http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/AEmblem/Shamrock.html

The opening paragraph is:
According to the Concise Columbia Encyclopedia, the identity of the true
shamrock has long been debated, but the plants most often designated as the
emblem of Ireland are the white clover, the small hop clover, and the wood
sorrel, or oxalis. It's likely that some or all of this information was
provided by the botanist, Nathaniel Colgan, who endeavored to identify "the
real shamrock" at the turn of the 20th century.

All the best,

Bridget
http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com

This thread: