GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047245955

From: "Barbara J. Ford" <>
Subject: U S census 1930 (message from Colm)
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:39:15 -0500

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 07:51:13 -0800 (PST)
From: "C. B. Hung" <>

I read some time ago that PA meant that citizenship had been applied
for and was pending. PA appears in the 1920 census for my father's
family in Chicago. They had never been in Pennsylvania. I do not know
what AL means. Two-letter acronyms for states did not come into
wide-spread usage until after zip codes were introduced.

C. B. Hung