GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047253122

From: "ToniW" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:38:42 -0500

"Bob, remove cap to reply" <> wrote in message
<follow-up snipped to post to only 5 groups!>
On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 "Is Mise Gan Ainm" <> wrote:
>Well, Just check the Concise Oxford English Dictionary
>[9th.Ed] to read:
>" Scotch, adj &n. adj,var. of Scottish or Scots. n. 1 var.
>of Scottish or Scots. 2. Scotch whisky. [contraction of
>So, it is an acceptable variation for Scottish people or
>Scottish whisky.

Hmm, if you ever meet my mother-in-law I suggest it would not be acceptable
to refer to her as "Scotch" within her earshot!

Nor within my Scottish mother's! Also, never call the tartan > plaid.
You will be shot at dawn, should you do use either in the wrong way.

This thread: