GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047296502

From: Jim Pettit <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:41:42 GMT

Jerry Desmond wrote:

> Good analysis. Some background on the migrations of the Scots-Irish,
> first from Scotland to Ireland in the 1600s, then from Ireland to
> America in the 1700s, is set forth in "Desmond's Concise History of
> Ireland" as follows:

Wow. I have rarely seen something so wildly inaccurate. It's not history
but bunkum.

It ignores the fact that Antrim and Down were settled by routine
Presbyterian immigration from Scotland and were thus not part of the
Plantations, that the Presbyterians were mainly small farmers on leases
until they took up trades like weaving, that land ownership had always
been concentrated in Ireland so that the replacement of a small group of
landowners had little effect on the population who normally leased their
property, and that the Penal Laws didn't come out of the blue. Each set
followed a massacre of Protestants and was a means of trying to prevent
the old landowners from causing further deaths. The laws were also
indifferently enforced and didn't affect the majority of the population.

This thread: