GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047303018

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:30:18 +0000

In article <>, Sam Sloan
<> writes
>What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
>
>I have heard the term Scot-Irish all my life, especially since I am
>one of them. What does that mean? Does it refer to Scots who went to
>Ireland because otherwise they were being burned at the stake by
>Presbyterians? Or, does it refer to Scots who were sent to Ireland to
>bring the new Protestant religion there?

It is an American term. There were Scots who went to Ireland as
plantationers, to bring the benefits of Presbyterianism to the
benighted. However, very many fled from the west after the 1745 when the
C***b*lls (excuse the rude word) turned butchers. Then later, you get
economic migrants from the Highland clearances who couldn't quite face
the Atlantic.

>The book "Descendants of Hugh Thomson" by Don Thomson briefly
>describes a Thomson ancestor of mine (first name not provided) who was
>burned at the stake in Scotland by Presbyterians, and two other
>Thomsons who were tied to poles in the Irish Sea and then left to
>drown when the high tide came in.
This sounds very suspect. There were some Catholics in Scotland, true.
But mostly they went to France, not Ireland.
Far more often there were dustups between opposing clans and septs,
usually fighting over rustled sheep. And several little local
difficulties where individual young men ran other individual young men
out of town.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society