GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047305614

From: "Sorted magAZine" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:13:34 -0000

"S Viemeister" <> wrote in message
> Sorted magAZine wrote:
> > This is the point, the Celtic language of the Scots is called Scots-Gallic
> > pronounced differently in Ireland and Scotland. Also, if Gallic is a
> > derivation of gall in Irish, which was most commonly used to refer to the
> > Normans, it could, though I'm not sure about this, been used to refer to
> > everyone who wasn't Irish, which would include the Scots.
> >
> My Scots Gaelic (note spelling) family pronounces Gaelic as gahl-ik. Irish
> Gaelic speakers I have met, pronounce their language as gay-lik.
Now that is interesting, because the Scot I was arguing with insisted that all
Scots pronounce it Gay-like (note, Scots-Gallic is only the language, not the
people). Just to add another tangent, Donegal gaeilgoirs tend to pronounce it
gay-lig-eh rather than gwayl-ge, which is closer to the Scots word gadhlig.

This thread: