GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047309836

From: S Viemeister <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:23:56 -0500

Sorted magAZine wrote:
> "S Viemeister" <> wrote
> > My Scots Gaelic (note spelling) family pronounces Gaelic as gahl-ik. Irish
> > Gaelic speakers I have met, pronounce their language as gay-lik.
> >
> Now that is interesting, because the Scot I was arguing with insisted that all
> Scots pronounce it Gay-like (note, Scots-Gallic is only the language, not the
> people). Just to add another tangent, Donegal gaeilgoirs tend to pronounce it
> gay-lig-eh rather than gwayl-ge, which is closer to the Scots word gadhlig.
Is the Scot who told you this a native-born, Scots-Gaelic-speaking Scot? I
have been told that Scots-Gaelic speakers in Nova Scotia say 'gay-lik', but
all of my family with Scots Gaelic as a first language, pronounce it as
I am not aware of a 'Scots-Gallic' language.

Sheila Mackay Viemeister
Sutherland, Scotland

This thread: