GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047317425

From: "Sorted magAZine" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:30:25 -0000

"Fachadir" <> wrote in message
> Scrobh Sorted magAZine:
> >"Renia" <> wrote in message
> >> As far as I know, Gaelic is pronounced gay-lick and Gallic is pronounced
> >> to rhyme with pal-ic. The French are Gallic and the Scots are Gaelic.
> >>
> >This is the point, the Celtic language of the Scots is called Scots-Gallic
> >pronounced differently in Ireland and Scotland.
> FSVO Ireland. IMO Donegal Irish sounds more like Scottish than it does
> like Munster Irish.

> >Also, if Gallic is a derivation of gall in Irish,
> It isn't.

I'm not necessarily talking about gallic in relation to the French, but gallic
as in Scots-Gallic.
> >which was most commonly used to refer to the
> >Normans, it could, though I'm not sure about this, been used to refer to
> >everyone who wasn't Irish, which would include the Scots.
> You're thinking in anglocentric terms. To the modern mind, there's
> Ireland and Britain, divided by a sea. To the Gaels, there was Ireland
> and Scotland, connected by the sea, with the Gall encroaching from
> Saxon country. To the Gael, there were Gaels stretching from Kerry to
> the Highlands.
Ye see, this is the point. I'm not referring to the original terms in the
native languages, I'm referring to the anglacisation "Scots-Gallic" and its
different pronunciations. Why Gallic instead of Gaelic, and why is it
pronounced as spelt in Ireland, but pronounced as the latter by many Scots?

This thread: