GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047321897

From: "Séimí mac Liam" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: 10 Mar 2003 18:44:57 GMT

"jkm" <> wrote in

>> Only in the USA. Never in Scotland!
> Never is an awfully long time! Back in the 18th century Boswell
> happily referred to himself and his countrymen as Scotch, and in
> 'History of the Highland Clearances', written in 1883, Alexander
> Mackenzie also referred to his people as Scotch. So the fashion,
> because that's all it is, for Scots to correct people who call them
> Scotch only grew up in the 20th century. Taken in the context of the
> times when they crossed the Atlantic it is perfectly proper for the
> Scotch-Irish to call themselves just that.
> It's not important anyway :-)
> Regards
> John

I heard the term used in the north of England in the 1960's but in a
different context. It was used to describe people descended from
marriages between Scots and Irish folk. Scotch-Irish as opposed to Irish-
English or Scotch-English. It was told me that there were many more of
the first than of the latter two categories.

Saint Sim mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve
Prophet of The Great Tagger
Canonized December '99

This thread: