GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047324937

From: (Jerry Desmond)
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: 10 Mar 2003 11:35:37 -0800

Jim Pettit <> wrote

> Wow. I have rarely seen something so wildly inaccurate. It's not history
> but bunkum.
>
> It ignores the fact that Antrim and Down were settled by routine
> Presbyterian immigration from Scotland and were thus not part of the
> Plantations . . .

Perhaps you neglected to read this:

"The first 17th Century plantation (the "Ulster Plantation") involved
confiscation of three million acres (about 30% of the island), all in
six counties in west and central Ulster. . . . The official plantation
indirectly encouraged the much heavier unsponsored migration of
working class
Presbyterians from Scotland to Counties Down and Antrim."

Slainte,
Jerry

This thread: