GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047326870

From: "Sorted magAZine" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:07:50 -0000

"Fachadir" <> wrote in message
> Scrobh Sorted magAZine:
> >"Fachadir" <> wrote in message
> >> Scrobh Sorted magAZine:
> >>
> >> It isn't.
> >
> >I'm not necessarily talking about gallic in relation to the French, but
> >as in Scots-Gallic.
> Its the same word as Irish "Gaeilge"

As opposed to Gaelic? This is where I'm coming from, why are there two
different words in English, Gaelic and (Scots-)Gallic?

> >Ye see, this is the point. I'm not referring to the original terms in the
> >native languages, I'm referring to the anglacisation "Scots-Gallic" and its
> >different pronunciations. Why Gallic instead of Gaelic, and why is it
> >pronounced as spelt in Ireland, but pronounced as the latter by many Scots?
> For the same reason that Kerrymen don't speak with 'Wegian accents.
It's not an accent thing, it's (according to the guy with whom I was
discussing it) a deliberate pronunciation of Gallic the same as Gaelic, while
Gallic meaning the French is pronounced as it's spelt.

This thread: