GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047327795

From: MMcC <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:23:15 GMT

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:01:42 -0000, "Sorted magAZine"
<> wrote:

>"S Viemeister" <> wrote in message
>> Sorted magAZine wrote:
>> >
>> > He's Scottish and lives in Scotland, don't think he speaks Gaelic.
>> >
>> I believe that HE pronounces 'Gaelic' the way you describe - but his
>> statement that ALL Scots do so, is inaccurate.
>No worries, I'm not going to rack the argument up again :-) I was surprised,
>though, as I took him at his word.
>> >
>> > This is the term both of knew (in English) for the native Scots language.
>> >
>> Excuse me? Could you rephrase that?
>Sorry, "This is the term both of US knew (in English) for the native Scots

If one is refering to the language by it's English name, which is
Scots-Gaelic, then one would say Scots GAY-LICK.

However the actual Scots-Gaelic word for the language, Gaidhlig, is
pronounced moreorless "Gahl-ik", close to "Gallic" you describe.
I have heard quite a few Scots refer to the language as such while
speaking in English. Which always struck me as a tad strange as Irish
people don't usually refer to Irish as Gaeilge when talking in

But I've never heard anyone say Scots-Gallic/Gahlik/Gaidhlig. It would
seem kind of redundant, akin to saying Irish-Gaeilge.

This thread: