GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047344799

From: Don Kirkman <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:06:39 -0800

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Steven Pilbeam wrote in article

>"Shawna Reynolds" <> wrote in message

>> Here is's desciption of Scotch-Irish:
>> Scotch-Irish
>> "This unusual term refers to those Presbyterian Scots who settled in Ulster
>> (modern-day Northern Ireland) during the seventeenth century. From these
>> 200,000 original settlers, up to 2 million of their descendants eventually
>> reached North America."

>> "The Scotch-Irish left Ulster as a result of neo-mercantilist British
>> economic policy in the region, requirements that they pay 10% of their
>> income to the Anglican Church, ongoing friction with their Catholic Irish
>> neighbors, and greater economic opportunity in the New World. Although the
>> Scotch-Irish settled throughout the colonies, they concentrated most heavily
>> in Pennsylvania. "

>Scotch is a drink...Scots is correct NOT Scotch

"I'm pure Scotch . . . the correct term is Scottish, but that sounds so
pompous" - Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, cited in Webster's New Collejit

AAMOF the Scotch-Irish seem to have always been known by that
appellation since they first came ashore in these colonies, Old World
practices aside. IIUC Scotch < Scottish.

Updated March 1, 2003 - added a number of individuals and sources

This thread: