GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047403309

From: "Sean MacLochlainn" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:21:49 -0000

Jim Pettit wrote:

> If I understand you right, you define any group of immigrants whether
> sponsored by an outside agency, attracted by a local landowner, or
> arriving spontaneously as being planted. Given that, because of
> Ulster's bogs and hills, the main exchange of people in Ulster was by
> sea between Ulster and Scotland until the 18th century rather than
> Ulster and the other Irish provinces, that makes all of Ulster's
> people planted.

Your logic is faulty. Everyone is ultimately an immigrant but what happened
in the early seventeenth century was much more than a natural drift to and
fro. Plantation was the main plank of an official policy of stamping out
native resistance and pacifying Ulster once and for all.

> The situation is further complicated by the fact that the west coast
> of Scotland was settled by an Irish tribe, the Scotti, from Antrim
> and that Antrim, for a portion of its history formed part of the
> Kingdom of the Isles so that Ulster is probably as much Scottish as
> Irish. The Gaelic of the upper classes was almost identical until
> recently.

You seem to ignore the ethnic and linguistic divisions within Scotland.
Whatever they were, the Scots planters weren't Scotti.

This thread: