GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047417666

From: "Irish Moon Child" <>
Subject: Re: county names
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:21:06 GMT

Here's the info I found in regards to your question:

Short History of the Name - The name Laois or Leix is derived from the name
of Ulster chieftan Lughaidh Laoighseach. When a county was created during
the reign of Queen Mary (Tudor) it was named Queen's in her honor. It was
renamed Laois in 1922 after Ireland's Independence. It is pronounced Leesh.

Part of the kingdom of Offaly in ancient Ireland, was known as King's County
from 1556 until the Irish Free State was established in 1922.
Hope that helps.
"Paul Kenny" <> wrote in message
> Hello there
>
> forgive my ignorance but I have ancestors in Ireland and I am trying to
> track them down. I have death certificates which talk about Kings County
> and Queens County and I can't figure out what these counties are called
now.
> any help gratefully received.
>
> kim (sydney Aust)

This thread: