GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047431787

From: "Séimí mac Liam" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: 12 Mar 2003 01:16:27 GMT

"Madra Dubh" <> wrote in
news:vkvba.1392$S%:

> "Kevinmccabe1" <> wrote in message
>> >(Dennis Ahern)
>> >Date: 3/10/2003 5:31 AM Pacific Standard Time
>> >
>> >Mike Day () wrote:
>> >
>> >: "Sean MacLochlainn" <> wrote in
> message
>> >: news:b4go0t$sf0$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> >: > Peter Norman wrote:
>> >: >
>> >: > > And Ulster is still effectively ruled by those of Scots-Irish
> descent
>> >: > > i.e. the Presbyterian majority of the current population.
>> >: >
>> >: > I think you had better check your facts. Presbyterians are a
> minority.
>> >: >
>> >: And not all of Ulster either. Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan are not
>> >: part
> of
>> >: the political entity of Northern Ireland.
>> >
>> >The political entity of Northern Ireland is comprised of only six of
>> >the nine counties of the province of Ulster. At the time of
>> >partition in 1922, the counties of Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan were
>> >deemed to be too heavily populated with Catholics and were "given"
>> >to the Irish Free State in order to maintain a numerical majority of
>> >Protestants.
>> >
>> >See http://www.cultureireland.com/maps/ for map of the provinces.
>> >
>> >As for the original question of the meaning of the term
>> >"Scots-Irish" or "Scotch-Irish", this appelation was adopted in the
>> >U.S. in the mid-19th century by the descendants of 17th- and
>> >18th-century Irish immigrants who wanted to disassociate themselves
>> >from the horde of famine refugees who crowded into the port cities
>> >of North America, impoverished,
> malnourished,
>> >and diseased. Because the famine was more severe in the southern
>> >and western parts of Ireland, these immigrants also tended more
>> >often to be Catholic, which further aggravated Americans of the
>> >Nativist persuasion.
>> >

>> Well put. But, aren't they really just bogeymen to scare children
>> with
> these
>> days?
>>
> We still use the Black and Tans around my house.
> -Conway

I was just talking yesrerday to my best man about his trip to Ireland
last summer. His family there are all big IRA supporters, right down to
the bumper stickers. He had lots of tales to tell about the rising and
the Black and Tans. Did you know that this whole deal over there is the
fault of Henry VIII? Just because he wanted a divorce. Nothing to do
with King Billy, really. Henry VIII was the start of Protestantism, sure
'nuff.

--

Saint Sim mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

This thread: