GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047434277

From: "Is Mise Gan Ainm" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:57:57 GMT

"Allan Connochie" <> wrote in
message news:...
> "Is Mise Gan Ainm" <> wrote in
> > Well, Just check the Concise Oxford English Dictionary
> > [9th.Ed] to read:
> >
> > " Scotch, adj &n. adj,var. of Scottish or Scots. n. 1
> > of Scottish or Scots. 2. Scotch whisky. [contraction of
> > Scottish]"
> >
> > So, it is an acceptable variation for Scottish people or
> > Scottish whisky.
> Acceptable to whom though? surely that is the point?
What you left > out was the following paragraph explaining
usage. [ie Scotch is >generally regarded as offensive by
Scottish people].

To the readers, presumably, of the 9th Edition of the
Concise Oxford Dictionary, which I quoted in full without
expnanatory omission of anykind, except the funny
hieorglphicuse to help pronunciatiation, as it is not on my

I read to-day in another reply to this that it is only the
so-called middle classes in Scotland, from now on I shall
avoid the anglicisation, Scot, Scottish and Scothmen refer
to all of them as Albanachs, which is their gaelic name. Is
that OK?

Is Mise Gan Ainm

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (