GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047564990

From: (david a somerville)
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: 13 Mar 2003 06:16:30 -0800

RE

RE The letter of mr.sloan
As a scotsman who has visited both parts of Ireland ,the term
scots-irish was unknown to until I studied American politics of the
1820's where it was used to
denote settlers in the then frontier regions of the
Mississippi-Missouri valley.
I have always assumed that these people were presbyterians from Ulster
possibly of Scottish descent from those sent to establish the
plantaations.
It has to be remembered that such groups were radical in their wish to
establish
home rule in Ireland and their American offspring were important in
broadening the franchise and in promoting open forms of democracy
e.g.selection of candidates by primaries or by open conventions

This thread: