GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047641663

From: "Sorted magAZine" <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:34:23 -0000
References: <NMLaa.10838$wJ1.1034032@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net> <JbMaa.18415$EN3.149805@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net> <1TMaa.210201$Zr%.52673@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com> <a4dn6vgomas50urs2224akdlmbjj9bk5g4@4ax.com> <wsRaa.213443$Zr%.45044@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com> <Ob7ba.32095$L1.6666@sccrnsc02> <WL8ba.220579$Zr%.75563@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com> <V2nba.41841$L1.8170@sccrnsc02> <b4l5c5$u71$3@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk> <1v6u6v8ta1laet4um7h3pi9h9m10020kn4@4ax.com> <3E6F4EC1.2090901@otenet.gr> <b4nmth$oka$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk> <3E6FC194.8050005@otenet.gr> <b4phoh$4cj$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk> <3E711907.3020103@otenet.gr>

"Renia" <> wrote in message news:...

> > Years were much shorter then because
> > the Earth was nearer the Sun.
>
> I see. By how much shorter were the years, then?

To play devil's advocate for a minute, why is everyone taking for granted that
"year" is the correct word? The bible as we know it in English has been
translated from Hebrew, to Greek, to Latin, to English and much has been lost
in translation. For example, the word "day" in the cosmology of Genesis (as in
the seven days in which YWHW created the earth) is based on a Hebrew word that
means a period of time, which could be anything from a day to 100 million
years! Read this way, the beginning of Genesis does not necessarily contradict
the scientific theories of the beginning of earth -
Gen 1:2 - Now the earth was formless and empty: The earth was initially a
gaseus construct then solidified but was volcanic.
Gen 1:3 - And God said, "Let there be light,": After a time, the earth cooled
and the smoke cleared, allowing the light of the sun to illuminate it.
Gen 1:6-10: The geography of the earth settled into land and seas.
Gen 1:11 - Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation": Plant life was
the first life on earth.
Gen 1:20 - And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let
birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky.": Life began in the
sea and then came to land, and birds are among the oldest land creatures as
survivors of the dinosaurs.
Gen 1:24 - And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to
their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild
animals, each according to its kind.": Then came the animals we know.
Gen 1:26 - Then God said, "Let us make man in our image": And man evolved.

Gen 1:14-19, in particular, has a strong echo of the older cosmologies such as
the Enuma Eilish after Marduc kills Tiamat (end of chapter 4 and start of 5):
"The lord rested; he gazed at the huge body, pondering how to use it, what to
create from the dead carcass. He split it apart like a cockle-shell; with the
upper half he constructed the arc of sky, he pulled down the bar and set a
watch on the waters, so they should never escape.
"He crossed the sky to survey the infinite distance; he station himself above
apsu, that apsu built by Nudimmud over the old abyss which now he surveyed,
measuring out and marking in.
"He stretched the immensity of the firmament, he made Esharra, the Great
Palace, to be its earthly image, and Anu and Enlil and Ea had each their right
stations.
"He projected positions for the Great Gods conspicuous in the sky, he gave
them a starry aspect as constellations; he measure the year, gave it a
beginning and an end, and to each month of the twelve three rising stars.
"When he had marked the limits of the year, he gave them Nebiru, the pole of
the universe, to hold their course, that never erring they should not stray
through the sky. For the seasons of Ea and Enlil he drew the parallel.
"Through her ribs he opened gates in the east and west, and gave them strong
bolts on the right and left; and high in the belly of Tiamat he set the
zenith.
"He gave the moon the luster of a jewel, he gave him all the night, to mark
off days, to watch by night each month the circle of a waxing waning light.
" -
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~humm/Resources/Ane/enumaA.html

Basically, much of the Old Testament is an edit of many different books from
Hebrew and other traditions (all the way back to Sumerian for the flood).
However, there is a good likelihood that the genealogies, when separated from
the mythic elements of the bible, could be fairly accurate. Many ancient
civilisations were very careful about preserving their genealogies (think the
Celtic and Nordic traditions of preserving genealogies in names).

D.

This thread: