GENIRE-L ArchivesArchiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047691635
From: "Jane Lyons" <>
Subject: Cork - Drumdowney & Castlemagner , Lewis 1837
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 01:27:15 -0000
DRUMDOWNEY, or DRUMDOWNA, a parish, in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE,
county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (w. by N.) from Mallow,
near the road to Kanturk; containing 164 inhabitants.
This parish, which comprises only 356 statute acres, as applotted under the
tithe act, and valued at £489, 11 shillings 11 pence, per ann. was formerly
more extensive; but the remainder has merged into the adjoining parish of
Buttevant : a considerable portion of it is occupied by the wood of
Drumdowney. The land is good and chiefly in tillage; limestone is in general
use for manure, and the state of agriculture is improving.
It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and forms part of the union of
Ballyclough ; the rectory is impropriate in Col. Longfield. The tithes
amount to £58. 10 shillings of which £28. 10 shilllings. is payable to the
impropriator, and the remainder to the vicar.
In the R C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilbrin,
also called Ballyclough.
CASTLE-MAGNER, a parish, partly in the barony of ORRERY and KILMORE, but
chiefly in that of DUHALLOW, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 ½
miles (E. by N.) from Kanturk; containing 2853 inhabitants.
It derives its name from the family of Magner, to whom this part of the
country formerly belonged, and who erected a castle here, which was
forfeited during the protectorate. This castle and lands were granted to the
family of Bretridge, from whom they passed to the Hartstonges ; the remains
now form part of a farmer's residence. Not far from Castle-Magner, in the
parish of Subulter, is Knockninoss, where, on the 13th of November, 1647, a
battle was fought between the English, under Lord Inchiquin, and the Irish
army commanded by Lord Taaffe, in which the English obtained a complete
victory: a detailed account of the battle is given under the head of
Subulter. During the same war, Loghort castle, in this parish, was
garrisoned with 150 men by Sir Philip Perceval, ancestor of Lord Arden, but
was taken by the Irish, who held it till May, 1650, when Sir Hardress
Waller, with a battery of cannon, captured it, and in his letter to the
parliament describes it as a place of great strength. This castle, which was
built in the reign of John, remained in a state of ruin for many years after
the protectorate, hut was repaired in the early part of the 18th century by
Lord Egmont. It is 80 feet high, with walls 10 feet thick at the base, but
gradually diminishing to 6, and encompassed with a deep moat or trench
passed by a drawbridge, Here was formerly an armoury for 100 cavalry, well
furnished with broad-swords, bayonets, pistols, carbines, and other weapons,
among which was the sword of Sir Alex Mac Donald, who was treacherously
killed by a soldier, after the battle of Knockninoss these arms have been
deposited at Charlesfort for security.
The parish is situated on the new line of road from Mallow to Kanturk, and
is partly bounded on the south by the river Blackvater, and contains about
7760 statute acres, consisting of nearly equal portions of arable and
pasture land; there is some woodland, and a considerable quantity of wet
rushy ground, but no bog or waste. The soil is generally fertile, producing
excellent crops, and there are several large dairy farms. On the lands of
Coolnamagh some pits of culm, forming part of the Dromagh vein, but not
worked at present. Limestone abounds, and is quarried for building,
repairing roads, and making lime. The new Government line of road to King-
William's-town passes through the extremity of the parish for about a mile
and a half.
Four fairs were formerly held at Cecilstown, at which is a constabulary
and petty sessions are held there every Monday.
Ballygiblin, the seat of Sir W. W. Becher, Bart, is an elegant mansion of
some antiquity, but recently modernised with great taste. In its beautiful
demesne are the ivy-clad ruins of a church, which tradition states was
intended to be the parish church,
but was not completed. The other residences are Bettyville, the seat of J.
Therry, Esq. ; Ramaher, of C Purcell, Esq. ; the glebe-house, of the Rev J.
D. Penrose, ; Cecilstown Lodge, of W. Wrixon, Esq. ; and Assolas, belonging
to Sir W W. Becher.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of
the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in John Longfield, Esq. The tithes
amount to £809. 5 shillings and 1 penny, of which half is payable to the
impropriator and half to the vicar. The church, which stands on an eminence,
and is a plain neat structure, was erected in 1816, by aid of a loan of £500
from the late Board of First Fruits; but the spire was built at the expense
of Lord Arden The glebe-house was erected by aid of a loan of £300, and a
gift of £500, in 1813, from the same Board the glebe consists of only two
roods of land.
In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district,
comprising Castle-Magner, Rosskeen, and Subulter, and has a small chapel
A school of 50 boys and 30 girls, under the National Board, is aided by Sir
W. W Becher, Bart.,who allows 20 guineas per annum; and a school for hoys
and girls is supported by the trustees of Erasmus Smith foundation, who
allow £20 per annum to the master, with a contingent gratuity of £10, and
£14 per annum to the mistress, with a like gratuity of £8. The school-house,
which contains apartments for the teachers, is a neat building in the rustic
style, erected by the late Hon. John Perceval, and
is kept in repair by Lord Arden.
|Cork - Drumdowney & Castlemagner , Lewis 1837 by "Jane Lyons" <>|