GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047829173

From: "Cathy Joynt Labath" <>
Subject: !! Ballina Chronicle; May 9, 1849
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:39:33 -0600

Wednesday, May 9, 1849

COUNTERFEIT CROWN PIECES- We have been informed that counterfeit five
shilling pieces are being circulated in town. The public will require to be
well upon their guard as we understand the imitations are such as from their
clever execution, are likely to deceive. Several have been passed upon
unwary shopkeepers-children having been induced on promise of gratuity, to
make small purchases for the forger, who has succeeded in escaping
detection.--Belfast paper.

ARREST OF A SUPPOSED MURDERER- About fourteen years ago a man named
Cornelius Crowley was murdered at Union Hall and a verdict of willful murder
was returned at a coroner's inquest against a person named Jeremiah Donovan.
Donovan, however, escaped from the country, and his name appeared for a long
time in the Hue and Cry. A few weeks ago a brother of the deceased man
happening to be in London accidentally met Donovan and at once recognised
him, and having given information to the authorities, had him arrested and
brought before the magistrates at the Thames street police station, who
committed him to jail until they could communicate with this country. It
appeared that the man had been living in London since the murder was
committed. Constable Cudmore of this city accordingly went over to London
where the man was given into his charge and brought over to Cork by him.
Donovan was brought before the magistrates at the police office this
(Monday) morning, and committed to the country gaol.- Cork Examiner.

FATAL AFFRAY NEAR LURGAN- Late on Sabbath night, or rather at one
o'clock on Monday morning, a family named M'Veagh, from Silverwood, near
Lurgan, were passing along the road towards Maralin, on their way to
Belfast, where they were to embark for America when they were met by some
men. Aggravating words having been used by each party, a fight ensued, in
which a young man named Mercer was dangerously wounded, and has since died.
The following day the M'Veaghs were brought back from Belfast and a
coroner's inquest was held on the body, when a verdict of manslaughter was
returned; but as there was no clear evidence to show who committed the deed,
the parties were acquitted.--Banner of Ulster.

Cathy Joynt Labath
Ireland Newspaper Abstracts

This thread: