GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047866409

From: "LarryDoherty" <>
Subject: Re: Co. Armagh newpapers of the late 1800's
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:00:09 -0000

The following is a list of newspapers relevant to Co Armagh:
Armagh Guardian 1844-1982
Armagh Standard 1879-1909
Lurgan Gazette 1861-74
Lurgan Mail 1890-Current
Lurgan Times and Portadown Recorder 1877-1915
Portadown Weekly News (later Portadown and Lurgan News) 1872-90
Ulster Gazette 1844-Current
Portadown Times 1923-Current

Source: Researching Armagh Ancestors, Ian Maxwell, Ulster Historical
Foundation, Belfast, 2000

<Ron Thomas> wrote in message
> In searching for the graves of my g-g-g-grandparents John McBurney and
> Margaret McClelland McBurney, I realize that their death certificates
> (if I find them) may not have any information about where they would
> be buried. So, I'm asking those in the know:
>
> What newspapers would have been the the ones that would carry the
> obituaries of locals of Co. Armagh around Tandragee? John McBurney
> died June 17, 1869, Margaret McClelland McBurney died August 05, 1891.
> The family farm was at Ballysheil, Clare, Co. Armagh, we believe.
>
> Thanks so much for any advice your can offer!
>
> Ron Thomas Estes Park, CO, USA
> (John McBurney & Margaret McClelland -> James McBirney & Ellen Carter
> -> James Francis McBirney -> Earl Carter McBirney -> June McBirney
> Thomas -> me )

This thread: