GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1047933626

From: (Sam Sloan)
Subject: Re: George Thompson and Sarah Taggart
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:40:26 GMT

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:51:08 GMT, Michael P. Reed
<> wrote:

>In message <>, Sam Sloan wrote:
>
>> My great-great-great-great-grandfather Private George Thompson died
>> during the American Revolutionary War while crossing the Delaware
>> River with George Washington, but he did not die during the famous
>> crossing which took place on Christmas Day, 1776, which led to the
>> Battle of Trenton. Instead, my ancestor died during a much less well
>> known crossing which took place on 15 August 1780 while George
>> Washington was retreating.
>
>When having one of these grand delusions, it helps to have actually done a
>little research. There was no river crossing, and certainly no crossing of the
>Delaware, or any river, "while George Washington was retreating." [Retreating
>from what??] On August 15th, 1780, the Main Army was quietly sitting in its
>encampment in the Highlands of New York; hell and gone from the Delaware.

I admit that this point had already troubled me. I looked in the
history books for a record of George Washington Crossing the Delaware
on 15 August 1780 and could find none.

However, I did not invent this. This account has been accepted by many
prestigeous authorities, such as the Daughters of the Amerocan
Revolution. See DAR Patriot Index Centennial Edition Part III,
(Washington: NSDAR, 1990) page 2922.

Unlike many other persons, I am not trying to prove that my ancestors
were great or famous men or even royality. I would much prefer my
ancestors to be horse thieves, which is a noble and time honored
profession, rather than corrupt royalty, sucking the blood of the
masses.

Still, the account that George Thompson, my ancestor, died while
crossing the Delaware River with George Washington is difficult to
discount, with so many diverse sources acknowledging this fact.

Sam Sloan

This thread: