GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048002030

From: "Dan Kennedy" <>
Subject: Re: which is correct?
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:40:21 -0500

Thanks for your comments! I am aware of the use of the Green flag but I
don't beleieve that it was ever an official flag of Ireland and that was my
point. Mike's question implied that it was. The Green Flag was a
major symbol of Ireland and of her fight for independence but was never
sanctioned.
You might want to check out: http://flagspot.net/flags/ie-green.html#hist.
Some personal trivia on the subject.
When I was a child, I owned a book of A. Conan Doyle's short stories that
contained a story called "The Green Flag". My copy had an illustration
of the Irish troops rallying around the Green Flag. I have a copy of
the story in front of me now but sadly it lacks the illustration.
A short quote from the story - "From the fixed bayonnet there fluttered a
little green flag with the crownless harp. God knows for what black
mutiny, for what signal of revolt, that flag had been treasured up ......".
The story, by the way, was first published in 1900.
As an Irish-born child living in England, during and after the War, there
weren't many Irish stories available and this one certainly made an
impression on me.
In those days (the 40's & 50's), on every St Patrick's Day we wore a
rosette, with our Shamrock if we could get some from Ireland, and the
rosette was always spoken of as being green, white and gold. I choose to
stay with my old ways and it will always be green , white and gold to me.

Dan Kennedy
Prince Edward Island
Canada