GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048092590

From: Nicholas Geovanis <>
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the term "Scot-Irish"
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:49:50 -0600

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Allan Connochie wrote:

> "Nicholas Geovanis" <> wrote in message
> > I have only once met a resident and native of
> > the-island-containing-the-Republic-of-Ireland-and-Northern-Ireland who
> > could speak the language-I-had-always-called-Gaelic. He was of Irish
> > ancestry, not Scottish ancestry (as he made clear). After demonstrating
> > the language briefly, he informed me that the correct name for that
> > language was "Irish".
> The term 'Scots' refers to the language of Lowland Scotland which
> is closely related to English and a version of this langauge called 'Ulster
> Scots' is spoken in Northern Ireland.

Is it true of 'Ulster Scots' that it preserves Scots as it was spoken at
the time of emigration? Or has it simply evolved into a distinct dialect?
It is said that French-Canadian, for example, similarly preserves the
French language, well beyond the typical vocabulary additions from the
modern English language.

> Allan

* Nick Geovanis
| IT Computing Svcs