GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048251162

From: "Sean MacLochlainn" <>
Subject: Earliest Irish Surname Continued (was Re: codswallow?)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:52:42 -0000

Alan O'Neill wrote:
>> Well present the evidence then instead of waffling.
> The O'Neills of Leinster
> an investigation into the origins of the O'Neills of Magh da chonn -
> Myacomb - Lienster
> by Sean O'Neill

So could you outline the evidence that shows that your Domhnall ua Niall
did not have a grandfather
named Niall? This is vital, because if Domhnall's genealogy is:

then Ua Niall is indeed a fixed surname, but if his genealogy is:

then ua Niall is just a nickname meaning 'grandson of Niall'.

The Ua Cleirigh claim I referred to earlier *is* backed up by a genealogy
proving that the person concerned was *not* grandson of someone named

This thread: