GENIRE-L Archives

Archiver > GENIRE > 2003-03 > 1048379019

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: BURKE of Co Kerry; also HODDER, HUGGINS
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 00:23:39 GMT

The 1861 British census shows that our great-great-grandmother, Margaret née
BURKE, was born ca 1823 in County Kerry. Margaret was married to John
HUGGINS, born ca 1816 at Caledon, Co Tyrone. Their children included:
- Margaret, born 1846/47 on St Helena;
- Elizabeth, born ca 1849/50, also on St Helena;
- Amalia, born 1853/54 at Kingston in Canada;
- Sarah Selina (our great-grandmother), born Dec 1855 at Barnet in
Hertfordshire, that district subsequently annexed to Middlesex; and,
- William H., born 1858/59, also at Barnet.

This considerable range in birth places reflects John's career in the 45th &
54th Regiments of Foot in the British Army.

The census also gives Margaret's mother as Mary HODDER, Widow, whose birth
place was given in the census as Co Mayo. At this time, it seems reasonable
to deduce that Margaret's mother's first husband (BURKE) had died, and that
she had remarried a Mr. HODDER who had also subsequently died. Mary was
born ca 1794.

I am posting this information on the off-off-chance that this information
might strike a chord for another BURKE, HODDER, or HUGGINS researcher, but
in particular as a request for Dennis Ahern to post some of his famous
web-based research pointers ;-)) (many thanks in advance to Dennis!).

Best wishes,
Alison Causton

This thread: